Who is Craig Foster? Craig Foster is the star and producer of the 2020 Netflix documentary, My Octopus Teacher. The acclaimed documentary has become one of the most beloved and artistically praised projects that Netflix has released in 2020.
Foster and his freediving take center stage as he follows an Octopus in the sea. He and his relationship with the octopus are in the focus of the documentary, his experiences and the effect of the octopus in his life are also themes of the documentary.
View this post on Instagram
Huge congratulations to our genius cinematography team for their work on My Octopus Teacher. @warren_smart for making the topside world feel like it was happening underwater @fosterkid_drums for capturing the #greatafricanseaforest from the air, Craig Foster for dedicating 8 years of his life to documenting the magic of this place and @rogerhorrocks for making everything EPIC (and having 2 credits in one category!!!). #seachangeptoject #remememberyouarewild #myoctopusteacher
10 Facts About Craig Foster
- Craig Foster is 52 years old as of September 2020 according to HITC.
- He is South African as per his nationality and has Mixed ethnicity.
- Craig is a filmmaker and a freediver who filmed his unlikely but weird relationship with an octopus and made it into the documentary ‘My Octopus Teacher‘.
- His friendship with the octopus and how he discovers the secrets of the deep blue sea by observing and co-existing with the octopus is incredibly beautiful.
- The documentary has gotten critical acclaim as well as love from audiences all over the world.
- He spent one full year freediving and meeting up with the octopus. Their blossoming friendship and its effect on his life are also one of the documentary’s strong points.
- The documentary was directed and written by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed. Craig also produced the show as well as starring in it.
- Foster is married to Swati Thiyagarajan. an Indian activist and reporter who is an instrumental figure in the Sea Change Project.
- Craig’s net worth is estimated between $100,000 to $1 million thanks to his career in film. His filmography also has other credits like The Great Dance: A Hunter’s Story, The Animal Communicator, etc.
- Other than this he has worked behind the scenes in multiple documentaries, in fact, documentaries are his specialty. he also wrote My Hunter’s Heart and Cosmic Africa among others.